Answers to frequently asked training questions
Below you'll find our GIS training FAQs – including course recommendations for new starters and details about the types of training we offer. Alternatively, if you would like to contact an Esri Australia training services specialist, call 1300 635 196 or submit an online enquiry.
- I'm new to GIS - where do I start?
If you're just getting started with the technology, register to attend ArcGIS I: Introduction to GIS. This course teaches what a GIS is and what you can do with it. You will also learn about the basic ArcGIS tools used to create maps and analyse data.
- What training products and learning options do you offer?
Esri Australia offers many training products and learning options, including scheduled courses, client-exclusive training, knowledge transfers and eLearning. We have also introduced Learning and Services Units, which provide you with a flexible way to manage your organisation’s GIS professional development requirements.
- I have completed a training course. What is my next step?
There are many course pathways you are able to pursue. The main topics are geodatabases, web application development, server and visualisation, and editing and analysis. Learn more about the range of courses available.
- I've completed ArcGIS I: Introduction to GIS - which course should I take next?
- I want to publish a map to the web - which course should I take?
- We are planning to convert our data to geodatabases - which courses would assist with this?
Start with Building Geodatabases to get a basic understanding of the geodatabase format and its functionality. We then recommend following this course with Implementing Versioned Workflows in a Multiuser Geodatabase and Distributing Data Using Geodatabase Replication.
- I have been using another GIS vendor's software for a while. What course would you suggest I take to get me started with ArcGIS?
One of the most challenging elements when transitioning to a new software product is gaining a solid understanding of the terminology. ArcGIS II: Essential Workflows provides a good introduction to the working terms used in ArcGIS. Alternatively, contact us about our specialised courses and let us help you with your transition to the ArcGIS platform.
- I can't see the course that I want in my state - where do I find it?
- Where will scheduled training courses be held?
- Do I need to bring anything to an Esri Australia training course?
All necessary training materials are provided at the training centre – including computers and relevant software, manuals and lunch vouchers. You will also be given sample data, so after the course concludes you can repeat the exercises at your leisure.
- Which software version are courses based on?
For scheduled training, the most current software release will be used for the course. Client-exclusive training can be conducted using any software version.
- If my colleagues all want to do the same course, can we have a course at our workplace?
- Can we have customised training for our staff?
Esri Australia offers more than 30 different training courses. Topics include desktop and enterprise technology, specialised applications, geodatabases and more.
We realise that when it comes to training, one size doesn't fit all. That's why we offer a variety of on-site and online training options that can be customised to suit.