Kickstart your career in geospatial science
The 2022 Esri Young Scholar Award offers one lucky university student from across the country the opportunity to showcase their GIS project on the world stage.
Open to undergraduate and postgraduate students studying spatial disciplines, the competition celebrates excellence, innovation, and creativity in the use of GIS applications to drive positive outcomes.
Students can enter by submitting a project, software development, application or research paper that leverages GIS.
This can be a current passion project, or work completed in the previous university year. As well as choosing from one of three incredible prizes, winners will have their work showcased at the world’s largest spatial technology conference.
How to enter
To be in the running to become the 2022 Australian Young Scholar, students must submit a compelling project or research paper that uses GIS technology to drive positive outcomes in any sector.
Your submission must include:
- A completed ‘Young Scholar Entry Form’
- A Young Scholar entry (software development/application or report)
- A written response (no more than 500 words) outlining the purpose of your project, its value, and why you should be the Australian Esri Young Scholar
- A one-page poster that provides an overview of your project or report. The poster must be 300dpi and a .pdf or .png file
- Proof you are currently enrolled as a student at an Australian university – in the form of a letter from your lecturer/tutor and a photocopy of your university ID
Entries are closed for 2022.
Your choice of one of the following:
- ArcGIS training package valued at $4,250
- Internship at Esri Australia including a laptop (valued at up to $3,000)
- GIS Ambassador Experience – connecting with Australian communities*
- An ArcGIS for Personal Use license (12-months)
- Your work displayed for thousands of GIS users from around the world in the Esri User Conference Map Gallery
- Networking activities with Young Scholar Award recipients from other countries
- An opportunity for Australia’s most influential GIS users to view your work and provide feedback
*Terms and conditions apply – based on availability and other criteria
Where are they now?
The 2021 Esri Young Scholar, Jamie Simpson, mapped Sydney’s COVID-19 outbreak, delivering vital information to concerned citizens. Learn more about Jamie's incredible work.
For some insight into what your future might hold, read about previous Esri Young Scholar Award recipients.
Entries will be judged by a panel of GIS experts based on the following criteria:
- Creativity and/or innovation
- Real-world relevancy
- Application of Esri technology
- Technical merit
The judging panel will select the 2022 Australian Esri Young Scholar, with a public announcement made via Esri Australia’s website and social media channels.
This year's judging panel includes: