To prepare for your training session:
- Install either ArcMap or ArcGIS Pro depending on what course you are attending. The setup guides can be found here for ArcMap and here for ArcGIS Pro.
- Install the Zoom meeting client on your PC https://zoom.us/download
- Arrange a quiet room where you will not be disturbed while attending your course training
- Ensure access to a headset and microphone to engage with your trainer as well as a second monitor to view the course materials
Virtual Training FAQs
- Will the course timings be the same?
Yes, all virtual classroom training will work to the same timing as an in-person training course. There will still be allocated times for breaks and lunch, which your instructor will make you aware of at the start of each day.
- What virtual training platform will you be using?
You will be using the Zoom meeting platform to participate in the virtual classroom. We will be in contact with you 3 weeks prior to your training course – to ensure you are full prepared and ready to participate in training. This will include providing you a Zoom meeting invite, any additional instructions, and to answer any questions you might have.
- I've been told to work from home. Will I still be able to attend the training online?
Yes, you will be able to attend the training from any computer with a stable internet connection.
- I am not sure whether the computer I have access to is able to run ArcMap/ ArcGIS Pro. Will this stop me from attending the training?
No, you will still be able to attend the training, as long as you have access to a computer, and stable internet connection.
If you are not able to support this software on the computer you will use on the day of training, we will provide access to a virtual desktop, that is preconfigured to run the course software.
We will contact you 3 weeks prior to your scheduled training, just let us know if you need access to a virtual machine and we will happily ensure it is available to you on the day of the course.
- How will you be providing course materials?
We will be providing all the course materials (training data and training manuals) with you prior to the course. Details will be provided to you with all of the necessary course information – closer to the training date.
- How do I connect with a trainer? With other course participants?
Your Virtual Classroom is delivered via Zoom meetings. This online tool includes a chat window that you can use to communicate with your instructor and other course participants. We recommend you test your microphone, speak and video prior to the course – so you are ready and able to fully participate.
Screensharing is also available through the virtual classroom, enabling you to make it a truly interactive and two-way sharing experience.
Your trainer will connect with you prior to the class – to ensure we can answer any questions you might have.
- Will I still receive a certificate for attending the virtual training?
Yes, you will still receive a certificate. This course is still the equivalent PDP of the in-person training course. It is simply a different delivery method. You will receive your certificate via email, post completion of the course. If desirable, you can opt to have your certificate delivered via mail. Please let our trainers know this is your preference.
- Do I need two screens to attend the training?
While it is not essential, we would recommend that you use two screens during the training event, so that you can have the relevant software open on one screen, and the virtual training platform/ training manual available on the second.
- Can I access the Virtual Classroom from a Mac?
Yes, the zoom meeting client is supported on Mac computers and we can provide a virtual desktop machine with ArcGIS Set-up and ready to go for Mac users. To access this you will need to install Microsoft Remote Desktop from the app store. If this is applicable to you please let the instructor know when they provide you the details for your course.
- Is installing Zoom on my computer safe?
Yes, installing Zoom on your computer is safe. Our recommendation for using any third-party application is to follow standard online safety precautions, which include verifying links and files before downloading and ensuring your anti-virus software is up to date and performs regular scans.
Our Zoom security settings have been optimised and training sessions are password protected. Additionally, our instructors are constantly monitoring sessions and will take appropriate action on any identified vulnerability. If you are unsure of the safety of any content that is being shared during a session, please check with your instructor before clicking on it.
Please note that installing and using Zoom on your computer is in accordance with the Zoom terms and conditions.
- Do I need to install the Zoom desktop client?
We recommend you do, although you can access the course from a browser the full functionality of the virtual classroom won’t be available without the Zoom desktop client.
- What Esri software needs to be installed?
Your instructor will inform you of what software is required prior to the commencement of the course.
- Do I need a keyboard and mouse?
Although you can get away without a separate keyboard, we highly recommend you use a separate mouse.