Professional development for teachers and students
Esri Australia helps educators develop the skills necessary to integrate GIS into classroom learning. Through virtual learning, and events, we can support the professional development needs of Australian teachers.
Our online resources include video tutorials, step-by-step documents and training templates that will deepen the understanding and skills of both teachers and students when engaging with applications like ArcGIS Online, Survey123 and StoryMaps.
- Setting up your school's subscription
- Adding teachers and students
- Implementing GIS into your curriculum
- Assessment support
Access guides and suggestions that will help you make use of geospatial technologies when designing new assessment tasks.
For teachers and students
- Navigating ArcGIS Online
- Adding and styling layers
Discover how to add and style a range of feature layers to your ArcGIS Online maps. Learn how to prepare your own data for entry into ArcGIS Online.
Part One: Adding Layers in ArcGIS Online
Learn how to add map notes and feature layers from Esri’s Living Atlas, ArcGIS Online and web services.
- Video tutorial: Adding layers in ArcGIS Online
- Step-by-step guide: Adding layers in ArcGIS Online (PDF)
Part Two: Adding Layers from a File
Learn how to prepare and add your own spreadsheets to ArcGIS Online as a feature layer. Then, explore how you can customise the style and look of your feature layers.
Part Three: Cleaning Data
Use this template and tutorial to learn how to clean your datasets and format your spreadsheet in preparation for adding it to ArcGIS Online.
- Performing Analysis in ArcGIS Online
Take ArcGIS Online further by learning how to use the Analysis tool. Learn how to create choropleth maps, buffer zones and more.
Learn how to create choropleth maps using the ‘Join Features’ analysis tool.
- Video tutorial: Creating a Choropleth Map
- Step-by-step guide: Creating a Choropleth Map (PDF)
- Training template: Choropleth maps (CSV file)
Localised choropleth maps
- Video tutorial: Creating a choropleth map of a local area
- Step-by-step guide: Creating a choropleth map of a local area (PDF)
Create Drive-Time Areas
Learn how to create drive-time areas using the ‘Create Drive-Time Areas’ analysis tool.
Identify and map flow paths by using the ‘Trace Downstream’ analysis tool.
- Story Maps
Explore the capabilities of Story Maps with resources that support you in creating your first Story Map.
ArcGIS Story Maps
- Video tutorial: Creating a StoryMap with ArcGIS StoryMaps
- Step-by-step guide: Creating a StoryMap with ArcGIS StoryMaps (PDF)
Classic Story Maps
This collection of resources teaches you how to create and design your own survey. Take it a step further and learn how to analyse your results with Survey123.
Creating and Designing a Survey in Survey123
Learn how to create and design your first survey using our video tutorial and step-by-step guide.
- Video tutorial: Creating and Designing a Survey in Survey123
- Step-by-step guide: Create and Design a Survey in Survey123 (PDF)
Analysing Survey123 Results
Learn how to analyse your Survey123 results once your data has been collected. Take it a step further and view your survey results in ArcGIS Online.
- Collector for ArcGIS
August 11, 3:30pm - 4:30pm AEST
Explore and discover ideas on how to implement spatial technologies and GIS applications in to your school's curriculum.