The history of Esri Australia
Esri Australia has gone from strength to strength since its establishment in Perth, Western Australia, in 1977. More than thirty four years later, Esri Australia continues to dominate the domestic Geographic Information System (GIS) market.
Now headquartered in Brisbane, the company employs 170 people and sits at the forefront of the $2.1billion Australian GIS industry.
Esri Australia fast facts:
- First office established in Perth in September 1977; Melbourne office opened in 1988; Brisbane and Sydney offices opened in 1990; Canberra in 1993; Adelaide in 1995; and, Darwin in 2010;
- Exclusive distributor of the world-leading Esri ArcGIS technology in Australia;
- Subsidiary of Boustead Singapore Limited, listed on the Singapore Stock Exchange;
- Developed Dekho, a market leading geographic web application server, in 2007;
- Acquired MapData Services (MDS), the nation’s leading and authoritative data, digital mapping and hosting company, in February 2010;
- Employs Australia’s largest and most skilled group of GIS professionals;
- Experience in a range of industries in the public, private and not-for-profit sectors including: health; education; defence; transportation and logistics; retail; financial services; government; natural resources; community and indigenous groups; environmental and scientific groups; media; emergency services; agribusiness; utilities; and the ICT industry;
- Partner with thousands of organisations to deliver some of the most significant GIS projects on Australian shores;
- Exclusively aligned to the nation’s leading spatial bodies, including SIBA and SSSI.
Esri Australia has enjoyed a history as rich as it is long; its future will see the company continue to nurture the science of GIS and forge a deeper understanding of its potential across the broader Australian business community.
Discover more about Esri Australia’s history – learn how our GIS solutions have transformed some of Australia’s leading organisations.